Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Lauria releases new single



Lauria releases new single


What do Leonard Cohen, Gino Vannelli, Celine Dion, Corey Hart, Chilly Gonzales, Rufus Wainwright and Terri Clark all have in common? Besides making their mark in music around the globe, they all hail from regal Montreal, Quebec. You can now add another name onto your radar of Montreal’s musical standouts: Florie-Laure “Lauria” Zadigue DubĂ©. Her debut single, “Losing Me” is a genre-defying ballad.

Lauria is a college student studying at Concordia University. Between her hectic studies she found time to record “Losing Me.” The overall production is crisp. What I loved about the music bed, I also sort of felt a little disappointed. It sounded very electronic and manufactured. But, after a few listens, I got over that. You can tell her artistry is looking ahead and she’s carving out her own path. I felt like this tune had a modern flare. While she certainly doesn’t have the range of her fellow countrywoman, Celine Dion, Lauria’s true talents may lie in her ability to transport her listeners to a dream pop soundscape. “Losing Me” is both hypnotic and exotic.

The lyrics “I don’t give a damn what people think about me / I don’t wanna live the life they want me to live” tiptoe along Lauria’s brooding, yet hopeful voice. She comes across as bashful. But, by the end of the song and especially during the chorus her reach and confident blossoms. It’s as if the crown has been placed atop her head.

The magic seems to happen about halfway through “Losing Me.” I liked the feisty use of “my heart is light as you walk away” and the humorous “this shit is crazy.” As a listener, I found myself in Lauria’s shoes, shaking my head the same way…we’ve been there! She doesn’t patronize like Katy Perry’s “Roar.” She keeps the listener in check and relates to the listener. I could imagine these lyrics in a journal. Is this Lauria’s healing song?

While your toes might not be tapping as much as your head moves to the groove, the underlying bass and overdubs are mysterious and unique. I didn’t feel like this song organically came about from an acoustic guitar, but it’s origins might have arose from the piano. There’s a softness to it, and you feel at times like Lauria’s vocals are isolating among the ambient undertone.

“Losing Me” has this filter feel – as if it were an Instagram photo with the Clarendon filter. Her chorus is the light. With so much hustle and chaos, it’s nice to sit down to a song and really listen. “Losing Me” cuts through the noise, the stress and delivers. It’s a pretty chill song. Yet, it percolates at the right times. The backbeat bubbles just slightly, like the thought process before breaking up with someone. You might feel like crying listening to Lauria, but by the end of the song, you’re cheering for her.

Overall, “Losing Me” is a standout song. I really dug the vibe and Lauria’s voice. Fans of Natalie Imbruglia, Nelly Furtado, Christina Perri and Tove Lo might take note of Lauria and her upcoming work.


Lori Reynolds

No comments:

Post a Comment